Monday, 30 May 2016

Kitchen worktops


 After getting to that stage of near completion with the kitchen and utility, I looked again at the work tops and decided not to keep them as wood. I changed the one in the utility first to see how it would look using fablon and added some accessories. 


New worktop  (I must get the sink bought and fitted!)

I think it looks ok...

I love this iron from Delph Miniatures

The whole kitchen done.

More accessories added

Ceramc hob and extractor from Elf Miniatures

Breakfast bar with sink again from Elf Miniatures

Very pleased with my extractor!


I've been looking forward to this stage where I get to put in all those little finishing touches. I've a few more things to get but very happy with progress so far...




Friday, 27 May 2016

"Chim Chimney!"

Houses look so much better with chimneys don't they but it's amazing how many modern house builders (real) don't put them on these days....I live in a relatively modern house and I'm pleased that we have one. Houses look more finished off with them I think. In the case of this modern 1:12 scale house I'm happy to say it came with one. Well two in fact but I don't know if I need two as there is only one fireplace, having said that I suppose the central heating boiler could have a chimmney? I will see as they're quite a challenge to 'brick'....



Nearly finished.


Done!


And up on the roof!




We have a roof at last!

It has taken some time but at last I've got around to getting the roof tiles done! That's the trouble with 'flitting' from one property to another, things get left on hold in one while you're busy with something else in another....it's also a nice aspect of the hobby being able to have more than one thing on the go at once as some days you just don't feel like doing certain things. Anyway it now means I can close up the house and I won't be able to see the half done bits inside!
Here's the finished roof.....apart from the ridge tiles and the chimmney that is. It will look much better with the chimmney on!


I used mdf tile strips which I bought from the Miniaturescene.com I've used them before and they're relatively easy to use, not too expensive and make a lovely modern style roof.


I cut them using a small saw and used a sanding block to get them to fit well, A paper template is handy to get the angles right around the dormers and chimmneys etc.


I learned when using these before that painting the edges is a good idea as it's difficult to do this once they're stuck on without messing up the edges of your roof..


This is my half way progress..


Now for the lead flashing.  I bought this self adhesive roll from Romney Miniatures which I've not used before.  



It wasn't as easy to apply as I thought it would be and I'm not entirely happy with my efforts as it doesn't look all that neat but for my first attempt I will leave it as it is for now....


So there we are that's my last two days work....
  





Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Outside again!

With mini building, outside works aren't dependent on the weather which is a good job here in the UK! So while the rain was coming down in the real garden the other day I set about preparing the roof for tiling. I needed to get the dormer windows together and stuck on before I could begin the main section of the roof. I've never actually put a dormer window together before and it was abit of a challenge getting all the pieces the right way on! Anyway I managed it as you can see from the photos. (I don't know why Blogger always puts the photos the wrong way with the completed part of the process first grr!)
.

Two dormers completed
Roof tiled

All tiled

Tiling the sides
Got them together and painted.

mmmm? Which piece fits where...?

















Saturday, 21 May 2016

Work on the utility/cloaks area


The utility and cloakroom/loo are in the extension at the back of the house and behind the kitchen. There is a side door leading to the outside. Here you can see how I've put it together. I need to do a little more work to add a sink and taps, put in some accessories etc but this is progress so far....


The loo

Making up the cupboards and fitting the worktop

Getting the dividing wall in place

It's amazing what you have to do to get things to stick!
                                               
All painted and skirting boards added

The view through the window is our own garden!

Utility area with cupboards and worktop done

Central heating boiler, washing machine and fridge freezer

Whole area - more work to do yet

View from kitchen and living area